Friday, April 11, 2008

A Sense Of Adventure: Before The Search {Post 1:Intro}

I always was the "dare devil" type of girl in the family and out of all of my friends, but my favorite interest was always in motorcycles. I've loved motorcycles ever since my Uncle use to give me rides when I was younger. He showed me the correct way to get on a bike without me getting burned by the exhaust pipe on the side. I would just hold on tight and watch everything pass by so quickly. I always had a passion for speed, and riding motorcycles was right up my alley! But besides loving the speed of a bike, I also had a thing for turning. When you turn on a motorcycle you have to lean to the side. I think I love speed and leaning because it reminds me of racing. From when I was younger to now I love watching street races. Different local bike clubs would race about four streets over from my house. No matter what time it is I would always find myself sprinting to Exchange Street just to watch. So, motorcycles are defiantly my sense of adventure and excitement. And I just wanted to know how can an individuals' mind be - so to say, "programed", to having a passion for adventure and being the "dare devil" out of the group?

Then when I was about ten or eleven years old, some new neighbors moved in four houses down the street from me. These new neighbors had a son the same age as us (my brother, friends, and I). We all became close friends (and are still close to this day). Well it just so happens that the "new boy" had a mo peg (like a small version of a motorcycle), and use to ride it all the time. He loved motorcycles just as much as I do, and I think that is what made us even closer friends. His Dad rode, fixed, and painted motorcycles as a hobby. With me always being around him and his Dad I was automatically "hooked"!

So, from ten or eleven years old to now at eighteen years old, I've been working on motorcycles with my friends Dad every summer. I would go to work all day in the summer, then come home and change my clothes to work on motorcycles with my friends Dad. I love being different, and this is one of my many qualities of mine that is very different. Yes, I was the little girl that use to put a pop can or huggy juice box in my bike tire just so it can sound like a motorcycle. Because if you think about it, how many girls have you met with my passionate interests in motorcycles?


Riding, fixing, and painting motorcycles is my sense of adventure, my rush in life so to speak. And in my research project I want to know how the brain works when it comes to having fun, living life, and daring to be adventurous.



I have a deep passion for motorcycles, and that is a very adventurous activity for myself and many others. So, my essential question is,
how does the brains thought process for an adventurous mind work?

-Elyse W. Period 1

1 comment:

Mr. Malley said...

Great bit of writing Elyse. Such great details.